Policies and Guidelines for KnightScholar
KnightScholar is a curated open access repository for scholarly, creative, educational, and research works created by SUNY Geneseo faculty, staff, and students, and for digitized materials from Milne Library’s Special Collections and Archives.
This document outlines policies and guidelines regarding the submission of content to KnightScholar.
ContributorsContent creators who wish to deposit material in KnightScholar must be affiliated with SUNY Geneseo; that is, contributors must be current faculty, staff, and students. Contributors may also include non-affiliated scholars if they are co-authoring with Geneseo authors or are submitting via a Geneseo-sponsored publication or event.
- Works uploaded to KnightScholar can be scholarly, creative, research-related, pedagogy tools, or datasets.
- The content deposited in KnightScholar must be completed works and files, and not in-progress or regularly updated. Data should be in discrete sets, and addenda may be accepted.
- KnightScholar contributors must be willing and able to grant Geneseo non-exclusive rights to preserve and distribute the content through the repository.
- In order for the library to maintain a complete collection, works which are part of a set should be deposited as a complete set as long as the contributor(s) holds copyright to all works in the set.
- Content deposited in KnightScholar must be in a digital format.
- KnightScholar is also the location for electronic Special Collections at Milne Library. Policies for Special Collections in
- KnightScholar are separate from policies for KnightScholar as an institutional repository.
ContentKnightScholar accepts a wide range of content. A non-exhaustive list:
- Publications & preprints
- Creative works
- Working papers
- Technical support
- White papers
- Datasets (Must be complete and ready for use, and must include a readme file.)
- Conference papers and posters
- Campus-based publications (e.g., Proceedings of GREAT Day, Gandy Dancer)
- Course-based publications
- Teaching and learning resources
- Audio and visual recordings
- Authors retain their copyright for all works submitted.
- Authors may request to update and add to existing works.
- Authors may request the removal of an individual work for any reason. Requests for the removal of works by multiple authors require the agreement of all Geneseo-affiliated authors.
- Authors may grant additional rights under their control to users through a Creative Commons license.
- The State University of New York Copyright and Patent Policy:
- Authors are responsible for obtaining permission for any third-party content included in their submitted work that does not fall within fair use.
- Authors are responsible for compliance with publisher agreements governing previously published or forthcoming works.
- To verify a publisher’s consent to deposit in an open access institutional repository, check the copyright agreement form for the publication. If the agreement cannot be found, SHERPA/RoMEO contains many scholarly publisher policies regarding permissions for deposit.
- Authors must consent to the terms governing submissions outlined in the KnightScholar Contributor Agreement.
- Any work that is in violation of copyright law will be removed from KnightScholar.
File FormatsA wide range of file formats is accepted (including text files, datasets, audio files, and video files) and there is no formal limit to size of material. The library will work with contributors to ensure appropriate file types are used. The Library of Congress recommends specific file formats: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/rfs/RFS%202018-2019.pdf
Library SupportKnightScholar is a service that is provided by Milne Library and the library offers the following support:
- Consultations and instruction on using KnightScholar,
- Assisting the SUNY Geneseo community with submissions as library staff resources permit, and
- Notifying contributors about significant changes to repository operations, policies, and procedures.